steve here again.
Before I start the post, I would like to welcome my 6 latest followers! Thanks guys!
I’ve released my podcast today!
As you probably know, I didn’t release my podcast last night. For one, I just got home from tsb, and for 2 the guest (I just planned for him to be in the cast) wasn’t available. So, I posted it today. Another thing, I posted episode 4, the one from june first. I didn’t know I actually had a working version, so I will talk about my latest episode as if it was episode 4, all though it really wasn’t. I hope you enjoy the podcasts!
On another note, here is some stuff I learned at tsb at the space weather class:
1. Did you know that during august 1972, during the apollo space mission, a huge solar storm hit. If those people had been on the moon at the time, they would’ve died of radiation poison.
2. Did you know that we had a solar event Thursday night, and if you were in alaska you would’ve seen the green glow?
3. did you know that light travels at 186000 miles per second which is also 669600000 miles per hour!
4. Did you know that all though the earth spins at 1000 miles per hour at the equator, it spins at 866 miles per hour in austin texas?
5. Did you know that in the event of a solar flair, it can cause a electric blackout on earth’s power grids?
6. Did you know that the surface temperature of the sun is only 6000 degrees, but the core is 14 milion?
7. Did you know that on April 13, 2029, a huge asteroid will come within 33000 miles of earth.
8. Did you know that some of the static noise we here on a shortwave radio is the sun and Jupiter?
9. Did you know that the waves of fm radio go through the ionosphere, and that we can only here them up to 100 miles away?
10. AM radio waves bounce off the ionosphere, and especially at night, we can here them from real far away.
11. Did you know that when the dinosaur killing asteroid sent so much dust into orbit around the earth, that it caused a period of over a year with absolutely no light, stopping all photosynthesis and vegetation growth, also killing half the species on earth back then?
Those are just some of the intresting facts I learned about in the space program.
On another note, if you want to know about Thursday and friday for me, we went to the movies on thursday night, and I sat by Devin and watched the man of steel, Superman.
On friday, the drive home ended up taking over 3.5 hours!
Finally, on a final note, I must tell you all the things we made this week at space weather camp in austin.
1. a paper sundile
2. we took a picture of the sun with sunspots and raised it up so I could feel it.
3. We made a read out chart from the supersid solar antenna, which detected the solar event from Thursday night. I even got to feel the read out!
Well, I hope this post was both intresting, informing, and fun for you to read!
Thanks for reading,
type you later,
P.S. Don’t forget to check out my friend’s website (I helped him make it over skype and the website setup page of this blog). It’s http://www.devinsplace.wordpress.com. Thankyou!